Friday, January 2, 2009

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music

So. List time. And of course I have to start with music. So, here are my top CDs of 2008.

3. Wovenhand - “Ten Stones”
Another ride into the personal religious darkness of David Eugene Edwards. Not as mindblowing as “Consider the Birds” but still extremely qualitative songwriting and such emotion, such feeling.

MySpace
Wikipedia

2. Meshuggah - “obZen”
The sixth full-length from Swedish metal outfit Meshuggah is a full-on aural assault. Veering away a bit from their signature polyrhythmics, “obZen” is still a very complicated affair, and once again cements Meshuggah's position as one of the most, if not the most, interesting Swedish metal bands. Pop music it ain't.

MySpace
Wikipedia

1. This Will Destroy You - “S/t”
Beautiful melodies and moody aural landscapes slowly build and build into crescendos of emotion that wash over me like tsunami, over and over and over. This is music to cry to. Music to watch New York go by through a car window by night to. Music to look out across the sea to. Music to look up at the stars to. Music to love to. This is one of the emotionally most powerful albums I've come across in a really long time, and I'm completely blown away by it. Awe is the most appropriate word I can find.

MySpace
Wikipedia

That's it. Three CDs, the cream of the crop of my 2009. Consider this a challenge. Post your own lists, here or at your blogs. Find me some new stuff to listen to. Convince me. And please post links as well.

No comments: